Ann Hart’s journey to Hillsdale

Home Features Ann Hart’s journey to Hillsdale
Ann Hart’s journey to Hillsdale

Ann Hart, professor in English, began teaching at Hillsdale College this Spring.

She is currently teaching Great Books II while working part time as an editor for Orbis: A Journal of World Affairs, a quarterly journal on foreign policy.

Hart’s love for the written word has taken her all over the country, from city to city.

Fresh out of college, she and her best friend, an artist, headed to Philadelphia to become famous. Hart wanted to write the next great American novel.

“We were driven by youthful enthusiasm,” Hart remarked. “And we were mugged by reality.”

Needing cash in her pocket, Hart ended up as a procedures writer at Reliance Insurance Company – not exactly her ideal job.

“You can focus on your vocation,” Hart said. “But you may have to make a living unless you marry well.”

It was during her time in Philadelphia when she met Darryl Hart, professor in history, at church. He was a high school senior dating the two-years-older Hart.

“Best thing that has happened,” Hart added. “If you are looking for a spouse, go to church.”

Darryl Hart sensed his wife’s dissatisfaction with her insurance job and suggested she pursue literature instead. Hart said she had always considered her older siblings the “smart” ones, but went to journalism school at night, worked during the day, and wrote during her lunch breaks.

Eventually, she quit her day job to waitress which she said was rather risky.

“I was a woman trying to make it in the business world, and I quit my full time job,” Hart explained.

Nonetheless, she did earn her master’s degree at Temple University.

“I’m really glad I did that,” Hart added.

Hart explained she has spent the last 31 years lovingly following her husband’s lead. From Philadelphia to Boston to Baltimore to Chicago, back to Philadelphia, and eventually to Hillsdale.

She worked at State Street Bank, John Hopkins as a copy-editor and creative manager, she tutored for writing skills, worked at another insurance agency, wrote for a community newspaper with an editor she described as “left over from the 60s,” freelanced, was a teacher’s assistant, became the editor for Orbis, and eventually found herself here in Hillsdale.

“It is like a different country,” Hart commented.

Hart explained she had never aspired to be an editor, and, although she is not complaining, would love to simply write for a living.

“Editing is pulling weeds,” Hart said. “Writing is landscape design.”

During her free time, Hart has been writing a novel addressing the cultural wars throughout the last 30 to 40 years.

Her time teaching Great Books has taught her to be careful with “all over the place” writing.

“You have to have good characters that make sense, not ideas with legs,” Hart said.

Hart said she has loved teaching the course.

“It is like a directed book club,” Hart said.

Freshman Claire Benz who is in Hart’s class said she has loved her teaching style.

“She is easy to have discussion with,” Benz said. “Class is lively, and she keeps things interesting.”

Annie Toohey, another freshman in the class said that the discussion aids her learning.

“I never get bored in that class,” Toohey said. “It is a different style of teaching. Instead of just lecture, we share our ideas, and I am learning with the whole class.”

Hart explained she teaches in a discussion-based style because she finds it important to continue the great conversations of the past in the present.

“I was a TA at Temple and kids just weren’t that interested,” Hart said. “It is wonderful to have dialogue with the students.”

Hart wants to do even more with the college students.

After 9/11, Hart said she realized just how small the world is. She is currently working on forming a closer link between Hillsdale’s students and the Foreign Policy Institute, hoping for students to work as interns, help at the summer academy, and develop connection with the Foreign Policy Journal.

She noted that the internet’s birth in 1994 and has made 2013 a wonderful time to be a budding writer.

With the internet age, you do not have to hand deliver stories. Hart herself telecommutes with an editor in Connecticut, a publisher in Dublin, and a president in Philadelphia for Orbis.

“A literary background is great,” Hart said.

Hart also went to the Turkey honors trip last summer and made a lasting impact on the students who went with her.

“I loved it,” Hart said. “For most of them it was their first time out of the country, and they were already working on theses. Such energy.”

Elizabeth Anne Odell attended the trip and said she enjoyed Hart’s conversations over breakfast.

“She is very well educated,” Odell said. “She had her notebook out, sketching and taking notes, being a good example of a traveler.”

Odell said she also attends Hart’s church and has observed her outside of an educational setting.
“I admire her success,” Odell said. “She has a wonderful relationship with her husband. She is dedicated to whatever she does, whether it be church or her job or her marriage.”