Freshman class 2nd smartest ever

Home News Freshman class 2nd smartest ever

The Class of 2017 is the second-highest class by academic ranking in Hillsdale College’s history, beat out only by the Class of 2015, according to the Hillsdale College Admissions Office.

Of the 370 members of the freshman class, five percent were transfer students, 39 percent came from private schools and 12 percent were home-schooled. The average high school GPA was 3.81, the average ACT score was 29 and the average SAT score was 1980.

“This year’s class is very similar to last year’s,” said Jeff Lantis, director of admissions. “Something a little different and of note is that 68 percent of students come from somewhere other than the state of Michigan. We are flattered in admissions that we have so many students coming from so far away. It points to our outstanding faculty and our outstanding students and the standing of the college.”

The acceptance rate for this year’s entering class was 49 percent. A total of 2,060 applications were received.

“In essence, this is the second-best class in college history, second only to the entering class of 2011,” Lantis said. “2011 was a record year for applications. Last year was down in comparison, but up from the previous year.”

Lantis said members of the freshman class distinguished themselves through their service in high school, bringing leadership and volunteer experience to the college.

“We have high expectations for this year’s entering class, especially in terms of leadership,” he said.

Fred Schebor, assistant director of admissions, said he was impressed by members of the new class.

“The kids, their enthusiasm is incredible. They say ‘Bring it on!’ Now, they don’t know what they’re getting into, but yeah, they say ‘Bring it on,” Schebor said, laughing.

Lantis said the freshman class struck him as engaging and ambitious.

“There was a group of students having their pictures taken with a number of Liberty Walk statues,” he said. “I could tell they showed an appreciation for the founders and a good sense of humor.”

Lantis said the college has plans in conjunction with the Capital Campaign to improve the applicant pool in coming years.

“As part of the campaign goals for the college, admissions’ focus is on growing the applicant pool and raising the academic standards for entering students,” he said. “We’ve been given the resources and the support to achieve this goal and are looking forward to the challenge.”

For now, the admissions office is focused on bringing high school seniors all over the country to the college as part of the Class of 2018.

Schebor said he takes pride in the college and the students who attend.

“I’ve been here for eight years and I’ve done this for 35 years,” he said. “I am impressed with the caliber of students and families that Hillsdale attracts. They understand what makes this country so good. It gives me hope for the future.”