Community to host benefit for family of deceased

Home City News Community to host benefit for family of deceased

The Historic Dawn Theater will host a benefit concert for recently deceased Hillsdale resident, Jake Lodgeman, this Saturday, Feb. 1. Funds raised will be given to Logeman’s family and girlfriend, Tiffany Lambright.

“Jake was a really neat guy. Everybody loved him,” said Peg Williams, Logeman’s former coworker at the Dawn Theater.

Logeman worked as a bartender at various restaurants and venues in and around Hillsdale, most recently at Broad Street Downtown Market and Tavern.

“I’m sure that there are a lot of people hurting from Jake’s loss who probably weren’t great friends with him, but he made you feel like you were,” Logeman’s friend Jeff Rowe said. “He just had that easy way with people, whether you knew him for 10 minutes or 20 years.”

After Logeman was initially hospitalized because of a brain aneurysm, his friends Kristi Moore, Theresa Slovacek, and Jessica Sorrell decided to create a raffle in order to pay for his treatment.

“We want to show that we care, and that we’re trying to help in some way,” Moore said. “Nobody should need to go through this.”

The women contacted Williams looking for assistance finding sponsors for the raffle.

“I told them that I can go one step up by hosting a benefit. It’s something I know how to do,” Williams said. “That phone call was at 7:30 p.m. and by 9 p.m.  it was organized.”

Four bands will perform: Chris Temple; Scotty Butters; The Dance Floor Freaks; and Silver Tongued Devils.

“All of the bands performing are Jake’s favorite,” Williams said. “The Dance Floor Freaks are officially broken up, but they’re doing one final performance for Jake.”

Rowe, drummer and one of three vocalists for Silver Tongued Devils, said that the band will play fun, party music to “keep everybody dancing,” like “Jake liked.”

“I followed him from place-to-place where he worked, and he followed me from place-to-place in my music,” Rowe said.

For the raffle, friends and local businesses donated more than 20 items, from a Pub and Grub sweatshirt and beanie to a hand-painted ceramic pot.

“We’re still taking donations if anyone would like to help,” Moore said. “Also, tickets will be for sale until the night of the benefit because we aren’t doing the drawing until a little later.”

Cavoni’s Pizza & Grinders will provide buffet-style dinner. Fifty percent of both the bar and raffle proceeds will be donated.

The Dawn Theater will open its doors at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 1. Tickets will cost $10 at the door, and  raffle tickets are available at: Broad Street Downtown Market and Tavern, Cavoni’s Pizza & Grinders, and Here’s to You Pub & Grub.