Claire Underwood is no feminist

Home Opinion Claire Underwood is no feminist

Netflix’s original series “House of Cards” portrays the darkest side of American politics. It’s difficult to find a character to root for because every character oozes depravity. Claire Underwood, the wife of the show’s fictional vice president, is no exception.

On Feb. 14, Jezebel called Claire Underwood, a “feminist warrior.” The article cites Claire’s bill for protection against military sexual harassment and her honesty about her abortion as a step forward for women’s portrayal in the media.

Though Claire does advocate for the same issues as American feminists, Jezebel ignores major plot points in Netflix’s original series “House of Cards.” Though she can manipulate and intimidate her opponents, her pursuits have their end in her husband’s success, not her own. “House of Cards” does not portray a “feminist warrior.” Instead, the show proves the success of a wife who makes sacrifices for husband.

The show has fascinated the American people. Though Netflix refuses to give statistics, an Internet traffic monitoring firm, Procera Networks, estimates that 11 percent of Netflix users, or about 3 million people, watched at least one episode.

Though Claire has her own pursuits, she constantly sacrifices her desires in order to aid her husband. Claire gives up her position at a nonprofit to focus on ensuring Frank’s success. Both seasons show Claire’s regret for her three abortions – one of which she obtained to focus on her husband’s campaign. She visits a fertility doctor, but cancels her appointment when Frank’s pursuit for the presidency speeds up. Claire envies the motherhood of others. She even threatens to cancel the insurance of a pregnant former employee, saying: “I’m willing to let your child wither and die inside you if that’s what’s required.”

Claire knew exactly what her marriage would entail from the day that Frank proposed. In season one, she recounted his words: “I’m not going to give you a couple of kids and count the days until retirement. I promise you freedom from that. I promise you you’ll never be bored.” Taylor Swift couldn’t find any song-writing material in this proposal.

Neither season provides evidence of the existence of a sex life between the Underwoods. The couple’s shared cigarette every night is the closest sign of their intimacy. Their respective affairs highlight their necessity to find affection outside their marriage.

In the end, however, Frank achieves his ultimate goal of the presidency. Claire, on the other hand, loses her job and any chance at motherhood. Yes, Claire tried to pass a bill for women’s rights in the military. She abandons the bill, however, when it no longer will help her husband. Every step she took manipulated those around her to help Frank advance to the presidency. She uses her beauty and sexuality to get what she wants. Claire is the opposite of a feminist warrior – she is a devoted wife, willing to make sacrifices.

Though feminists try to portray Claire as the modern woman, they should criticize her constant self-sacrifice. Claire epitomizes the plight of a politician’s wife — a repressed existence, focused only on her husband. Though her life lacks boredom, it is devoid of personal fulfillment.