Charger Chatter: Luke Ortel

Home Sports Charger Chatter: Luke Ortel

Hillsdale College sophomore Luke Ortel is centerfielder for the Charger baseball team. A native of Troy, Mich. and graduate of Bishop Foley Catholic High School, Ortel is batting a .343 average this season with the most hits, runs scored, and stolen bases of the team. Ortel is a fan of the Detroit Tigers and a financial management major.

When did you start playing baseball?

I have played organized ball since I was probably 8 years old, 7 years old, something like that. The first team I played on was just a Troy little league team. Actually, I remember before that, playing on a tee ball team when I was even younger.

What is your favorite part about baseball?

I just love being able to play a college sport because I am competitive and I like that aspect. My favorite thing to do during the game is to hit a home run or make a great play in the outfield.

What do you think your biggest strengths are as a team?

As a team, I think that we’ve definitely been through our ups and downs, but I think that it has helped make us stronger because of the difficulties that we’ve been through. I think that we can definitely use the hardships that we’ve been through this year to gain a little competitive edge over other teams.

Do you have any pregame rituals?

Not before every game, but sometime before the game I like to take some time to myself and think about the game coming up, and visualize myself taking a few at-bats and getting a hit off of each pitch the pitcher throws. It’s something I started doing in high school and have continued if I have time to relax before the game, even if it is just for five minutes.

Who is your favorite baseball player?

My favorite player is Curtis Granderson. I started liking him when he was on the Tigers, and I still keep track of him. I think that he is a really class guy. He handles himself well and he plays the game well. I like how he carries his good character on and off the field. Curtis played centerfield, and I wear number 28 because of him. I was hoping that I would be able to get the number in college. I lucked out.

What do you like about playing center field?

Center field is great. I love playing center field.  Probably the best aspect of it is the great view. You can see where the pitcher is setting up and you have a good idea of the strike zone from where he is throwing. I always have the leftfielder and  rightfielder asking, “Hey, where was that one?” I have a great view of the whole game. I like to cover a lot of range.

What is your walk-up song?

My walk-up song is 1901 by Phoenix. It has a good instrumental beginning. That’s why I picked it. It has a good guitar intro.

What is the best baseball advice you have ever been given?

Couch Buster, my high school coach, always used to say, “You can’t just throw your gloves out on the field.” What he meant by that was, you have to come to play every day. Even my coaches before high school would say things like, “On any given day, any team can win or lose.” That’s the great thing about baseball, which is really true: The best and strongest team doesn’t always win, because of how intricate the game is. You can’t just throw your gloves on the field, you have to be mentally in the game throughout the whole game. I like to remember that before each game, that you have to come to play and work hard every day, every single pitch.

How do you balance sports and academics?

I am used to it and I’ve been doing it for a long time. Honestly, I couldn’t imagine my life any differently. I feel like I would be bored. I just always look ahead in the week and make sure I have my priorities down at the start of the week. At this point it is just my second nature to be able to plan and adapt to that.

Do you have any future plans?

This summer I am going to be playing in the Great Lakes League with an Athletes in Action team in Ohio. I was excited I was invited to do that.

– Compiled by Emma Vinton