Golfer qualifies for nationals

Home Sports Golfer qualifies for nationals

Hillsdale College junior Matt Chalberg will be one of 24 individual competitors across the country competing in the National Collegiate Club Golf Association National Championship this spring.

The two-day NCCGA spring championship will be held April 26-27 in Crystal Springs, NJ. The 25 collegiate club teams and 24 individuals who qualified nationwide will play two 18-hole games. Chalberg will represent Hillsdale in the individual competition.

Chalberg said he’s not nervous, but he is excited for his first competition at a national level.

“I love competing in golf,” he said. “And it’s been a while since I’ve gotten to compete at such a high level.”

The Hillsdale club golf team is only in its second year and will be competing at the varsity level in the fall. Chief of Staff Mike Harner has coached the club team and will continue into the next year. There are six golfers on the club team now, but more will join in the fall. Chalberg will lead the team as co-captain.

Harner is proud of Chalberg and confident in his ability to compete in the NCCGA national championship, despite the long winter with few competitive rounds.

“He’s serious about his game,” Harner said. “He seems to be the first one to get out to the range and practice, and it shows in his play.”

Chalberg said he has played golf since he was a kid in the front yard with some old clubs his dad cut for him. He continued to compete in high school and other amateur tournaments, but has no aspirations for the professional golf world after college.

“His gift might be that he keeps it simple,” Harner said. “He’s a talented player and hits good shots, but he doesn’t over think it.”