Senior class officers elected

Home News Senior class officers elected

Junior Andy Reuss was named president of the class of 2015 Wednesday.

“I’m really excited to have the opportunity to serve my senior class,” Reuss said. “I’m honored that my classmates have entrusted me with this responsibility, and I’m excited about who I get to work with and make our senior year one for the books.”

Rising seniors voted Tuesday and Wednesday. Reuss is joined on next year’s senior committee by juniors Heather Lantis as vice president, Kadeem Norray as treasurer, Annie Teigan as secretary, and Shelly Peters as social chair.

The committee is responsible for the planning and execution of all senior class events, including the senior party, the senior gift, and future class reunions.

Joanna Wiseley, director of career services, said there was great voter turnout, with over 200 juniors casting a ballot.

“I look forward to the opportunity to work with them next year,” she said.

Besides class president, Reuss is an English and politics double major, and will be head resident assistant in the Simpson Residence next year. He works in the president’s office, is a George Washington fellow, and a contributing columnist to student magazine The Hillsdale Forum.

Presidential duties include leading the selection of the senior commencement speaker, hosting certain campus events, and running committee meetings.

Vice President Lantis is a history major and a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma women’s fraternity. She is also on the track team and involved in Athlete Intervarsity Hillsdale Christian Fellowship. She is currently vice president of Student Federation.

“I’m very thankful and honored to have the opportunity to serve this senior class,” she said. “I’m excited and looking forward to serving my fellow students one more time.”

Teigen, the new secretary, is an English and biology double major, with a biochemistry minor. On campus, she holds a leadership position as a member of the Pi Beta Phi women’s fraternity, and is a member of the honors program. She volunteers at Lockhaven and the Hillsdale Community Health Center. She has already practiced her new job description in her role as secretary of Student Federation this year.

Secretarial duties will include note taking at meetings, managing publicity for senior class events, and developing class and committee meeting agendas.

“I’m really excited to get more involved and represent my class well, and I’m flattered and honored to have been selected,” she said.

Like Lantis and Teigen, Noray already has experience in his position as the new class treasurer. The triple major in economics, physics, and math is the treasurer of both the Classical Liberal Organization and the Young Americans for Freedom.

“I’m happy, I suppose, because I do think that I’m qualified to handle whatever comes along in being class treasurer because I do have a lot of treasurer experience here. But I’m also surprised, because I have no idea who nominated me, and I didn’t campaign at all,” he said. Noray will be responsible for the development and financing of a senior class gift.

Noray is also the vice president of Praxis, and member of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity.

“I’m flattered that there are enough people who think that I would do a good job at this, that would vote for me. That’s special, and that means a lot to me. And I’m excited to probably be the first African-American treasurer.”

As social chair, Peters will be senior class chief party planner. Peters is majoring in Christian studies with a minor in classical education. She is the head RA in Olds Residence, and a member of KKG. She is a member of the vision team for Intervarsity Hillsdale Christian Fellowship, a resident life assistant, and campus health coordinator.

“I’m deeply honored,” she said. “And I love people, so being social chair is kind of exciting. I hope to throw a spectacular senior party and represent my rocking senior class well.”