Track to host more than 1,600 athletes at Gina Relays

Home Sports Track to host more than 1,600 athletes at Gina Relays

More than 1,600 track and field athletes will compete in Hillsdale this weekend at the Gina Relays.

“It’s at the time of the year when you really start to do well,” Forino said. “This is exactly when all the magic starts happening.”

The Gina Relays is the biggest track meet Hillsdale hosts. Despite fears of bad weather, head men’s coach Jeff Forino said the forecast is looking better.

The teams split last weekend, with one group competing in the Mt. San Antonio College Relays in California and the other in the Al Owens Invitational at Grand Valley State University.

Emily Oren broke her own school record in the steeplechase, a record she set just last week. She broke the school record in her first ever steeplechase event.

Senior Elliot Murphy had a provisional qualifying time in the 110 hurdles in California.

“Seeing teams like USC, Kansas State, and even Mexico’s national track team line up and race, makes me feel more competitive and that definitely helped me run my fastest time ever in the 110 hurdles, which I am really excited about,” Murphy said.

Junior Matt Perkins had a personal best in the 1500. Junior Amy Kerst broke a personal record in the 800, and senior Amber Mueller had a personal best in the discus.

“The season has really come together well,” Mueller said. “My form and technique have been a lot better since we’ve been able to get outside these last few weeks. I expect this weekend to be good too.”

The season ahead holds the GLIAC outdoor championships next weekend, followed by a few last chance meets for athletes to try to qualify for nationals.

Nationals will be Memorial Day weekend at Grand Valley State University.

Senior Mo Jones hopes for a national championship in the 400 hurdles. After coming off a 2nd place finish in the 400-meter during the indoor season, that hope could soon be a reality.

“The guy who beat me is number one outside in the 400 hurdles right now, so it’s really going to be me and him again and this time, I don’t want to let him get away,” Jones said.

Forino is hopeful about nationals, but for now he is focused on the Gina Relays.

“Kids just get fired up when they hear the name,” he said.