Volleyball: small squad, big goals

Home Sports Volleyball: small squad, big goals
Volleyball: small squad, big goals

With only 13 players on the roster this year, the Hillsdale Chargers volleyball team has faced a preseason full of transitions.

Last season’s sizeable team of 18 gave some cushion in the line-up and at practice, but red-shirt senior Lindsay Kostrzewa said she feels positive about the downsize.

“Whereas last year, you might have more rest time during practice, now you’re constantly involved in every drill,” middle-hitter Kostrzewa said. “It actually kind of makes us better players because you’re more versatile and in better shape in general.”

Kostrzewa also said that the team has developed an even stronger bond due to the challenges they have faced in preparing for this season.

“[We think of ourselves] as being a unit or a family,” she said. “We understand each other’s strengths and weaknesses, how to motivate each other, and we know we are all striving to reach the same goals.”

Senior Kat Vael, who has battled back pain since her freshman year, may not be able to play this season, but she said that her teammates have helped her resist discouragement.

“My team is a huge aspect of why it’s worth it, why pushing through the pain is worth it, because I look at the twelve other girls on my team, and I see how hard they’re working and how committed they are to our program,” Vael said. “It makes me want to be just as good for them — not even just for myself, but for them, to push them.”

Student coach Caitlin Kopmeyer, ’14, said she has seen tremendous growth in the team, especially within the past few months. Kopmeyer has been assisting Gravel since she finished up her fourth season last fall as the Chargers’ outside left hitter.

“I think the team looks really good,” Kopmeyer said. “Since coming in from preseason, they have improved so much already. And from the tournament just two weekends ago to the tournament this past weekend was awesome, too,” Kopmeyer said.

Kopmeyer also pointed out that, although the team is smaller this year and has just three seniors instead of five, it will be better for the future of the program since the younger classes will gain more playing experience.

“With all of them looking as good as they are right now, I think that says a lot for the results of this season and the success they’ll have,” Kopmeyer said.

Kopmeyer’s younger sister, freshman Jessie Kopmeyer, will take over her old position as outside left hitter.

Gravel is optimistic about what lies in store for the Chargers this season but is reluctant to reveal too many secrets before the team hits the court for their first regular season game against Lake Erie University on Friday, Sept. 12.

The most important thing to practice in preparation is mental toughness, Gravel said.

“Our number-one opponent has always been ourselves,” Gravel said. “If we can believe in ourselves, we can go a long way.”