President Obama to campaign for Michigan Democratic candidates

Home City News President Obama to campaign for Michigan Democratic candidates

Follow Vivian on Twitter

Political celebrities from both parties swarm to the Great Lakes State to rally support for Senate candidates Terri Lynn Land (R-Mich.) and Rep. Gary Peters (D-Mich.) in the final weeks of the race to clinch a Senate majority this November.

Wednesday, the White House announced that President Barack Obama will visit Detroit to campaign for Peters and gubernatorial candidate Mark Schauer (D) during the last week of the campaign. Last Friday, First Lady Michelle Obama rallied supporters for Peters in The Motor City and Florida Gov. Jeb Bush stumped for Land in Lansing. Today, former Secretary of State and potential 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton will campaign for Peters in Oakland, Michigan.

“We all need to be as passionate and as hungry for this election as we were back in 2008 and 2012,” Michelle Obama said, addressing an enthusiastic crowd. “In fact we need to be even more passionate and more hungry because these races here in Michigan will be even harder and closer than those presidential elections. And they’re just as important.”

The first lady’s speech drew a crowd of more than 2,000 supporters for Peters last Friday — driving another nail in the coffin of a Republican victory. The National Republican Senatorial Committee also withdrew $1 million worth of Land TV ads for the last two weeks of the race.

Nevertheless, Michelle Obama’s appearance left many Michigan Republicans optimistic about the race.

“First Lady Michelle Obama’s visit was a nice attempt to rally her fellow Democrats, but Michigan families aren’t going to easily forget the fact that every vote for a Democratic candidate this fall is a vote for her husband’s failed policies,” said Republican Party Chairman Bobby Schostak in a press release.

In contrast, the Michigan Democratic Party believe  Michelle Obama’s efforts will help close the deal for Peters in November. Peters supporters were further encouraged last weekend when a Mitchell Research poll showed Peters in an 11-point lead over Land.

“The first lady has been a tremendous advocate for our middle class families and veterans, and we look forward to having her in Michigan,” said Michigan Democratic Party Chair Lon Johnson in a press release on her visit.

Michelle Obama’s speech reminisced about her husband’s presidential campaigns, and pled passionately for Michigan Democrats to raise support in their local communities.

“If you think that people who work 40 or 50 hours a week shouldn’t have to live in poverty in the wealthiest nation on earth; if you don’t want women’s bosses making decisions about our birth control; if you think women should get equal pay for equal work; if you want your kids to have quality preschool and the college education they need to fulfill every last bit of their God-given potential, then you need to get everyone you know out to vote for Gary and for Mark!” Michelle Obama said.

Bush spoke for less than 15 minutes at a whirlwind gathering with Land and Attorney General Bill Schuette at the Michigan Republican Party headquarters in Lansing, according to the Lansing State Journal.

“Rick Snyder is a spectacular governor that has rebuilt Michigan,” Bush said, of the absent Snyder. “If someone from Mars came down and said, the old Michigan, compare it to the new Michigan, it would be pretty clear. I don’t even know why there’s an election here.”

He added: “We fix a few big things in Washington and allow states to do what they do so well — this country’s going to lead the world.”

Today, Clinton will talk to supporters on behalf of Peters at Oakland University.

“We are honored to have Hillary Clinton come to Michigan in these final weeks of our campaign to boost the middle class across Michigan,” Johnson said last week in a press release. “Hillary Clinton has always been an advocate for the men and women of Michigan and we look forward to her visit.”

Land’s diminishing chances are seen in Roll Call changing its rating of the race between Land and Peters from “leans democratic” to “democrat favored” last week.

Follow Vivian on Twitter