Spring Pulliam Fellow named: Kevin Williamson

Home News Spring Pulliam Fellow named: Kevin Williamson

National Review’s roving correspondent Kevin D. Williamson will join the Hillsdale community for nearly two weeks next semester to teach a one-credit course for the Dow Journalism’s Pulliam Fellows Program.

Williamson is the former director of the journalism program at the Institute for Humane Studies at George Mason University. Last year, he published the book “The End is Near and It’s Going to Be Awesome: How Going Broke Will Leave America Richer, Happier, and More Secure,” in which he discusses the debt crisis and how a growing government hurts the U.S. Williamson will be in Hillsdale starting March 16, the day students return from spring break.

“He’s an outstanding reporter and magazine editorialist and journalist,” Director of the Dow Journalism Program John J. Miller said. “He’s worked with young people and taught journalism. His experience with that will serve him well here.”

The Pulliam Fellows Program brings prominent journalists to Hillsdale every semester. This semester’s Pulliam Fellow, foreign correspondent and expert on Russia David Satter, arrived on Sunday. Other prominent journalists who have come to Hillsdale for the program include political commentator Mark Steyn, Tim Carney from the Washington Examiner, and Kimberley Strassel from The Wall Street Journal.

“It’s an endowed program. Students who want to go into journalism, it’s good for them to be around real journalists,” Vice President for External Affairs Douglas Jeffrey said. “All the feedback we’ve gotten from journalism students has been positive.”

When choosing Pulliam Fellows, Miller and Jeffrey each suggest names. Williamson was an obvious selection for both.

“I had recommended him a couple of years ago,” Jeffrey said. “This year, John mentioned him to me as someone he’d like to bring out here and be a really good teacher because he has a background in teaching journalism. It was a no-brainer that we agreed.”