Exodus: Gods and Kings fails to inspire

Home Culture Exodus: Gods and Kings fails to inspire

When “Exodus: Gods and Kings” began with the opening frame of circa 1300 BCE, I knew that the movie was not going to be about God at all. It wasn’t.

The movie, which loosely follows the story of Moses and the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt, features Christian Bale as an apathetic and schizophrenic Moses, Joel Edgerton as the Pharaoh who you really want to like, and Sigourney Weaver in a few scenes. “Exodus,” which debuted in December, is a visual thrill but a biblical bore.

I am not necessarily bothered by the fact that the movie does not strictly follow biblical events. Though the biblical story is really a great one, I would have been fine with an entertaining movie that stood on its own. But the strange and out-of-place alterations made Ridley Scott’s rendition of the Exodus story just … boring.

The story focuses on familial and human relationships in the story rather than supernatural assistance. Moses, content in Egypt as adopted brother to Ramses, discovers his true identity as an Israelite. When Ramses also discovers this, Moses is exiled from Egypt. Skip many years to his return to Egypt after his encounter with the burning bush, the “God” character who is portrayed as a pre-pubescent British boy who just wanted vengeance on the big bad Egyptians.

At the burning bush, which was seen for all of five seconds, Moses, trapped in mud up to his head, spoke to a child who needed a general to redeem his chosen people. The concept of portraying God as a child — not a totally absurd one considering Christ’s New Testament coming — ultimately failed. It could have been done well and is an interesting attempt, but it did not work here. The portrayal of God in the movie ruins any kind of wonder that the story might otherwise evoke.

I kept waiting for the next “biblical event” to redeem the plot after that. The plagues, though visually well done, sprung from scientific explanations (the Nile turned to blood because of crocodile attacks). The parting of the Red Sea came about when Moses hurled his sword into it in frustration rather than an obedient response to the command of God, and Moses himself chiseled out the Ten Commandments— ultimately, an atheistic portrayal of plot and character rather than a Christian view of obedience and redemption.

And though it was a valiant acting attempt, even Christian Bale as Moses was not enough to redeem this movie. The movie’s interpretation cheapens the beloved and magnificent story of the connection between God and kings.

As my fellow movie-goer whispered to me, “This scene could use a musical number.” If you are looking for a better account of the Exodus, a better movie and better acting, stick with DreamWorks’ “Prince of Egypt.”