I am Jewish and proud

Home Opinion I am Jewish and proud

Every morning for the past decade, I have put on the same earrings and necklace. They’re nothing flashy or overly eye-catching, but they do have one important feature: The Star of David.

For all the years I have followed this routine, it was only recently that I began to think about it. It was only recently that I began to consider where I would be going or what I would be doing that day to try to decide if it would be safe to wear my jewelry.

I am often told anti-Semitism is a thing of the past, something that ended after the last concentration camp in Europe was liberated. I wish that were true.

It is, however, hard to deny the vigor of anti-Semitic sentiment when events like the recent hostage situation and subsequent murder of four Jews in a Kosher grocery store in France occur.

Multiple terrorist attacks occurred in the short span of a few days in France. Each attack occurred for a specific reason. Those at the satire magazine Charlie Hebdo were targeted for their work and what they published.

This is radically different than the reason behind the targeting of the grocery store. Those in the store were killed simply for living and breathing as Jews.

This attack is sadly part of a trend. Many in the media have tried to play it off as an isolated incident, but attacks on Jewish communities around the world have been on the rise in recent years.

A family friend from Belgium noticed a significant increase in anti-Semitism beginning years ago, especially in France, the United Kingdom, Belgium, and Germany. From drawings of Swastikas to destruction of synagogues to beatings and murders of Jews for no other reason than their religion, the world has — yet again — become increasingly hostile toward the Jewish people.

Immigration of French Jews to Israel has increased significantly in the past few years, and immigration of Jews to Israel from around the world — Aliyah — reached a 10-year high in 2014. Sofa Landver, Minister of Aliyah and Immigrant Absorption, predicts even greater increases in 2015. Jews are fleeing their homes.

History has not been kind to the Jewish people, but our story continues regardless. I am proud of my heritage and am strong in my beliefs. I will continue to wake up each morning, put on my earrings and necklace, and wear them confidently.

#JeSuisJuif