Vanished Hillsdale

Home City News Vanished Hillsdale

Before fraternities and sororities were introduced to Hillsdale’s campus, student life was dominated by literary societies. In the post-Civil War college, five large groups, three for men and two for women, were organized. According to “Historic Hillsdale College” by Hillsdale College historian Arlan Gilbert, the societies “offered students opportunities for self-improvement that complemented classroom work. Excellent writing and public speaking skills resulted.”

While most colleges did away with the traditional literary society system by the turn of the century, Hillsdale’s student groups were active and successful well into the 20th century. Societies like Alpha Kappa Phi, the Ladies’ Literary Union, and Amphictyon incorporated under state law, giving them an independent existence from the college with which they associated. They enjoyed dedicated meeting rooms in Knowlton or East Hall, which were extravagantly decorated in otherwise drab 19th century Hillsdale College. Many of these elaborate paintings, draperies, books, and chandeliers, as well as valuable records were lost in the fire that destroyed Knowlton in 1910.

Literary societies gradually faded out of popularity with the student body as new national Greek organizations finally gained administrative favor, along with local groups such as the “Princes of the Orient” for men and Sigma Alpha for women. Even laborious alumni efforts to restore the meeting rooms to their pre-fire splendor failed to convince students of the benefits of membership. According to “The First Hundred Years of Hillsdale College”, the societies’ names had disappeared from records completely by 1929.