Bon Appétit hires new general manager

Home News Bon Appétit hires new general manager
Bon Appétit's new General Manager David Apthorpe. (Joel Calvert/Collegian)
Bon Appétit’s new General Manager David Apthorpe. (Joel Calvert/Collegian)

Coming from almost nine years of experience at Bon Appétit and an even lengthier culinary background, David Apthorpe recently began working as the new general manager for Hillsdale’s food service. He started at Hillsdale on Feb. 18, and hopes to bring his wife and two children from Cleveland, Ohio, soon.
“I think this is going to be a great opportunity for myself and my family, and we look forward to bringing the full Bon Appétit brand here and making a very long-lasting relationship,” Apthorpe said.
Apthorpe began his culinary career in Austin, Texas, where he started a popular French restaurant known as Mirabelle. Two years in a row, he was named Favorite Chef of the Year by the Austin Chronicle. Beth Kretschmar, marketing manager for Bon Appétit and partner with Apthorpe for six years, said he also worked for some of the best restaurants in Cleveland before joining Bon Appétit.
“He really is creative as far as working. When we got a great local product, it was really fun for him to come up with some dishes that highlight the flavors,” Kretschmar said. Apthorpe shares Bon Appétit’s passion for purchasing local foods and working with local farmers, Kretschmar added.
Though Apthorpe never imagined working for a food service company, he claimed that Bon Appétit’s incredibly high standards convinced him to join the company. He temporarily left to work for a classy retirement community in the hopes that he would have more time to spend with his children, but gladly rejoined Bon Appétit in Michigan when he discovered that was not the case.
“[Hillsdale] was new to me. It’s very student-focused, which is different than my experience at Case Western, where there’s a lot of research. It was so refreshing for me to meet the president of the college one of my first days here, just eating in the dining room,” Apthorpe said.
Other Bon Appétit staff members feel that his culinary expertise will expand the food service here.
“He was a chef before, and his culinary background brings a lot to the table,” Catering Director Anne Hartunian said. When she first met him, she immediately recognized his kindness and knowledge.
“He’s a great asset to the organization, and to the college itself,” Hartunian said.
“Even though I don’t get to work with Dave every day anymore, I’m thrilled he’s back with Bon Appétit. He will do great things at Hillsdale,” Kretschmar said.
Perhaps Apthorpe will use his culinary inspirations — Julia Child and Boston chef Frank McClelland — in his work at the college. Though his favorite cuisine is Regional America, he chooses salmon Caesar salad for dinner when he’s in a hurry.
His first few days have been captured in a whirl of meeting the team and learning his way around, but he looks forward to meeting more students and staff.
“Everyone had very high praise for the quality of student, for the staff and their willingness to work with people, and their general friendliness and openness,” Apthorpe said.