Baseball riding 3-game winning streak

Home Sports Baseball riding 3-game winning streak
Baseball riding 3-game winning streak

mitchell

The Hillsdale College baseball team swept a two-game set against the Findlay Oilers last night after taking two of four from the Ohio Dominican Panthers over the weekend.  The Chargers are now 13-23 overall and 8-12 in the GLIAC.

Senior Shane Armstrong was nearly unhittable Wednesday night, throwing a complete game shutout and allowing just four hits as the Chargers took the first half of the doubleheader 4-0.

All four of Hillsdale’s runs came in the top of the first inning, thanks to a walk by junior Michael O’Sullivan and three consecutive hits from juniors Connor Bartlett, Chris McDonald, and Tad Sobieszczanski.

Hillsdale fell behind early in the second game after giving up two runs in the fourth, but the Chargers fought back to win the series finale 4-2.

Hillsdale took the lead in the top of the fifth inning on RBIs from O’Sullivan and Sobieszczanski and a wild pitch which scored freshman Ryan O’Hearn.

Junior Jacob Gardner pitched brilliantly in the win, throwing 7 2-3 innings, allowing three runs, one earned, on only three hits.

Junior Mitchell Gatt and senior Dan Pochmara pitched the final 1 1-3 innings without allowing a hit.

“Every single pitcher was outstanding today, and that was the key to a great day,” Theisen said.

On Monday afternoon junior Chris McDonald was named the GLIAC North Division Player of the Week.

McDonald hit .500 (11-for-22) over the week with two home runs and 12 RBIs.  He paired this with two good outings on the mound, in which he pitched 10 combined innings, allowing only four runs and striking out six.

“Obviously it feels good to be rewarded for hard work and accomplishments on the field, but there is just so much more to this award than what I did individually,” McDonald said. “My teammates were able to get on base in front of me so I could have all the opportunities I had this week, The coaches have been great in pushing me to change my approach at the plate.”

McDonald is the first Hillsdale baseball player to win the award since Scott Monterastelli won it in 2009.

Over the weekend the Chargers took on the Ohio Dominican Panthers in a four-game home series, winning the bookend games but dropping the middle two.

After the Panthers scored two runs in the top of the first inning of the series opener, the Chargers loaded the bases for McDonald, who laced a ball into left-center field to drive in all three runs. The teams then matched each other, run for run, in the 6-5 Hillsdale victory.

The offensive effort was led by junior Luke Ortell who went 4-for-4 with two doubles and a triple.

“I was just seeing the ball well this weekend,” Ortell said. “I felt like I had a good mental approach, and that definitely helped me succeed at the plate this weekend,”

The Charger offense failed to get hits at critical moments in Saturday’s second game, leaving 13 men on base in a 7-3 loss.

Ohio Dominican junior Ryan Colegate was effective on the mound when it mattered, giving up three runs, only one earned, in 7 2-3 innings, despite allowing eight Hillsdale hits.

Due to injuries, freshman Alex Walts was forced to make his first collegiate start at catcher on Sunday.

“We got him some work behind the plate in the winter, just in case of emergency,” Theisen said. “He stepped up in a big spot when we really needed him.”

A late Chargers comeback effort fell short in Sunday’s opener, as they dropped the game 9-5.

McDonald made significant strides toward his Player of the Week honors in the contest, going 3-for-4 with a home run and four RBIs.

Although Charger pitchers were roughed up, Theisen looked at the positives.

“We had guys keep battling after they gave up runs. They kept ODU where they were, and gave us a chance to comeback,” he said.

Theisen did not have to search for the positives in Sunday’s second game, as the Chargers took the finale 12-8.

As seemed par for the weekend, McDonald set the tone for the offense, going 4-for-5 with his second home run on the day and four RBIs.

Ortell, not to be outdone, hit a home run of his own in a 3-for-4 performance.

The rest of Hillsdale’s offense managed to keep pace, with nine different Chargers recording at least one hit and seven Chargers knocking in at least one run.

Senior Dan Pochmara came in to throw the final inning of the game, striking out two to seal the win.

The Chargers will travel to Saginaw Valley State this weekend to play four games against the Cardinals.