Don’t just analyze art, enjoy it too

Home Culture Don’t just analyze art, enjoy it too

If there’s one thing I’ll take away from the Great Books sequence here at Hillsdale, it’s that in great literature every sentence, every phrase, and every word has a purpose. The same principle can be applied to any form of art, whether painting, music, theater, or film.

A great artist is a purposeful artist. Nothing he produces lacks meaning. For this reason, we closely analyze the works of great authors, painters, composers, playwrights, and directors, seeking the meaning and truth behind their art.

While examining and analyzing art is beneficial, we must be sure not to allow analysis to get in the way of enjoying art.

Art is unique. It is the physical expression of an artist’s imagination and creativity. Art exposes an artist’s own experience. Through examining that experience, we can learn about what it means to be human, to be emotional, to love, to hate, to be joyful, to be angry. This is a good thing.

Art reaches into our hearts and our minds. Through our intellect we understand its meaning, but through our soul we identify with its emotion and imagination.

This is why we analyze art. For some reason, a reason we cannot completely quantify, art speaks to us and we listen to it.

Even before coming to Hillsdale, I found myself trying to peel back the layers in everything from TV shows to classic works of art. Spending a full academic year studying great literature and examining the layers of meaning only solidified this habit.

Even in a field like journalism, I find myself distracted by wondering how a great reporter was able to gather together all the information in the piece I’m reading rather than just enjoying a great work of reporting.
Likewise in any form of art, I fix my attentions on trying to realize the motivations of the artist. Why is this melody this way? Why is this word used rather than this phrase? Why does that director use that camera angle? Why does that actor emphasize that syllable?

These are certainly not bad things in and of themselves. I am thankful for an education that taught me to ask such questions. But I find that in asking these questions I oftentimes miss the true point of art.

Too many times I focus so much on analyzing the melodic line that I forget to appreciate its beauty and the masterful artist behind it.

Too often I look closely at a single word or phrase rather than taking in the work as a whole.

Too often I think about what I would have done differently rather than honoring something that is beautiful and good.

This is the danger of a liberal arts education. You can take a good thing too far and twist into something detrimental.

We analyze art because it is good and because it is beautiful. We lose the latter when we let examination get in the way of appreciation.

So next time you put in your earbuds to listen to that new song by that artist you’re still not sure you like, be sure to first appreciate the human creativity, the imagination, the drive, and the talent that it took to create the melody. Then examine why it is the way it is.

Art is beautiful. Honor its beauty.

Nathanael Meadowcroft is a sophomore from Vancouver, Washington. He is majoring in mathematics and minoring in journalism through the Dow Journalism Program. He serves as the assistant editor of the Collegian’s Sports page.