Returning Chargers ready to compete for GLIAC crown

Home Sports Returning Chargers ready to compete for GLIAC crown

CJ Mifsud throwing copy

It’s been three years since the Hillsdale College football team last finished atop the GLIAC North Division. Last season, the Chargers struggled to a 4-7 overall record, due in large part to injuries and inexperience. But injuries to experienced players led to more playing time for those lacking experience, and surviving a season of youth birthed maturity.

With a veteran offense at the helm, the Chargers hope to end their three-year drought this season and make it back to the top of the GLIAC.

“We have as many guys on offense that we think are GLIAC-competitive ready that we’ve ever had,” head coach Keith Otterbein said. “I’ll be surprised and disappointed if we’re not able to be a fairly effective offense.”

Every starter on the offensive side of the ball for the Chargers has seen significant playing time in the past. Hillsdale’s attack will be led by senior quarterback C.J. Mifsud and junior tailback Bennett Lewis. Mifsud and Lewis will benefit from a veteran offensive line, something the Chargers have not enjoyed in the past couple seasons.

“We’ve clicked really well. Everybody on the offensive line played last year,” senior left guard Justice Karmie said. “Having that chemistry and that synergy gives a little bit of continuity on the offensive line that we haven’t had in the past, whether it was due to injuries or just inexperience.”

Karmie recognizes the impact that a good offensive line can have on a football team.

“It really helps the offense as a whole gel,” Karmie said. “When you have more time up front because the offensive line is playing well, the running backs can get their holes better, and the quarterback has more time.”

Karmie will start on the offensive line alongside sophomore left tackle Jake Bull, senior center Aaron Price, sophomore right guard Danny Drummond, and senior right tackle Matt VanOpstall.

Hillsdale’s experienced players have been a positive influence on the team’s underclassmen, according to Otterbein.

“We’re getting great leadership from our upperclassmen, so they’ll keep a calm around the others,” Otterbein said. “They’re doing a great job of taking the young guys under their wings and teaching them the work ethic that we have.”

On defense, the Chargers don’t benefit from as much experience as they do on offense, but Otterbein likes the way his defense has competed in practice.

“On the defensive side of the ball, I like the way we’re running around. Certain spots we’ve got some depth,” Otterbein said. “There’s a lot of capable football players on the field practicing.”

Sophomore linebacker Jay Rose, along with sophomore wide receiver Brian Newman, was originally intended to be redshirted last season but injuries forced Otterbein to give him playing time on defense. Rose and Newman enter this season more prepared for what’s ahead.

“Last year compared to this year at this time, I’m a lot more calm and confident,” Rose said. “Last year I was freaking out getting thrown in like that but that experience of actually playing a game means a lot.”

Otterbein recognizes the importance of that experience for Rose and Newman.

“They’re further ahead in the curve and know what Saturday afternoon is about,” Otterbein said. “They’re playing at a little higher level.”

Otterbein generally redshirts all his freshmen, but he said “a couple” freshmen might play this season. He said he won’t play a freshman at quarterback, tailback, or on the offensive line, but any other position is a possibility.

“We’ve got enough bodies that are capable at those positions but the other spots if things work out there might be some young guys playing,” he said.

Otterbein said he has “no idea” how his team will perform this season until he sees them playing GLIAC opponents, but he said the biggest factor for his team’s success will be how his guys stack up physically against their opponents.

“Our challenge is always going to be how we’re going to match up physically,” Otterbein said. “Every week it’s going to be a question of are the guys across the line bigger, faster, stronger, but that doesn’t always necessarily mean success or failure, because if there’s any sport that the collective effort overcomes the individual abilities it’s in the game of football.”

With only two more seasons in the GLIAC, the Chargers want to finish strong.

“I don’t think there’s anyone on the team that has any doubt that we have the talent and the ability to be a playoff team,” Karmie said. “Especially now that we’re getting ready to leave the GLIAC, we want to make a statement these last couple years while we’re here, that we’re not leaving because we can’t compete.”

Hillsdale’s playoff pursuit begins Saturday at 7 p.m. at Frank “Muddy” Waters Stadium against the University of Findlay.