Athletics earn NCAA President’s Award for Academic Excellence

Home Sports Athletics earn NCAA President’s Award for Academic Excellence

Hillsdale College athletics received the NCAA President’s Award for Academic Excellence on Nov. 11, exceeding the standards of the NCAA’s Academic Success Rate which factors in overall GPA, athletes’ completion of credits toward a major, and graduation within six years.
Of the 27 Division II institutions nationwide that also received the award, Hillsdale tied for sixth with an Academic Success Rating of 93 and is the only member of the GLIAC to obtain the award. Hillsdale has received the prize all four years that it has been given.
“The award is a direct reflection on Hillsdale College, our student athletes, and the academic standards we have here. It is also an acknowledgement of our coaches who recruit excellent students who have the desire and character to persevere,” Director of Athletics Don Brubacher said.
Among Division II institutions, Hillsdale College has the best academic profile with the highest average incoming SAT/ACT for its incoming freshman class.
“Our coaches are required to be very aggressive in their recruitment because we are competing with Ivy League and military schools. The President’s Award is a tribute to the caliber of student they recruit and to the college culture of Hillsdale College itself—athletes like it and don’t want to leave,” Director of External Relations Jeff Lantis said.