Charger Chatter: Ryan Badowski

Home Sports Charger Chatter: Ryan Badowski
Charger Chatter: Ryan Badowski

pastedImage

Ryan Badowski is a sophomore transfer from Longwood University studying business. He is a shooting guard on the Hillsdale College basketball team. Ryan scored 11 points and grabbed four rebounds in his first game as a Charger on Tuesday night, a 92-87 win over No. 8 Indianapolis.

Why did you transfer from Longwood University to Hillsdale College?

I’m from Cleveland, Ohio, so Longwood was eight-and-a-half hours away, far away from home, and I wanted to be a little closer. Hillsdale originally recruited me out of high school, so that’s how I ended up here. Longwood is Division I, so I went and played for a year and came back and I’m happy I’m here. I’m a big fan of the academic standard here and I wanted to be challenged academically. I wanted something that would set me up for the future. My dad is a CPA, so I might follow the accounting route, but I’m not sure yet.

How has being on the basketball team affected your college experience?

Just being a part of something, a closer inner family. Here at Hillsdale it’s much different than many other places just because we’re so disciplined and we work so hard every day in and out of practices. It’s nice to have people to rely on and always have someone there for you. It keeps me busy and keeps me in the books because I know I have to get my homework done, so time management is definitely a skill. It’s comforting to know I’m only two-and-a-half hours from home. My family can come to a lot more games and I get to see them more often. We have a lot of potential to do really big things this year as a team, so I’m really excited about the season.

If there is one thing you could change about your college experience, what would it be?

Try to be less stressed. I’d say stress is definitely a major factor in my daily life. I try to tell myself just relax a little bit more and have more fun. I get into these phases where I feel like a robot and feel like I’m doing the same thing every day. It’s a grind sometimes, it’s like fighting a battle, you’ve got to tell yourself to relax sometimes. College is a one-time experience though, that’s what I’d say. Live it up and enjoy the moment.

What’s your relationship like with your teammates?

I had a great opportunity to go to Spain this August with the team, and that was a great way to get to know the guys and everybody’s personality. They’ve been so accepting and I’m very grateful to be a part of a team that’s so welcoming. Everyone is very disciplined and works hard every day and you don’t get that at every place. I’m thankful to be where I’m at today, it says a lot about the coaching staff, I have a lot of respect for them.

How long have you been playing basketball?

I’ve been playing basketball my whole life. I’m extremely passionate about it. It’s my life.

What are your plans after college?

I’d love to go play professional basketball after school for a few years overseas. If not I hope to come out of here with a nice degree — or certificate or whatever you want to call it — and hopefully that will set me up for a job and hopefully have a family.

What’s the best part of being in the game?

The competitive spirit of just being able to go out there and battle against other people. Three years from now I could be done. It doesn’t last forever, so every time you step out there and take the court you‘ve got to give it your all and play as hard as you can and compete and live with the result. That’s what I tell myself every time I go out there, play as hard as I can.