No arrest warrants issued yet for drug-related Litchfield fire

Home City News No arrest warrants issued yet for drug-related Litchfield fire

litchfieldfiremen

Local and state police responded to an explosion on Friday evening at the Riverside Apartments just north of Litchfield, 12 miles north of Hillsdale.

“I was upstairs in my apartment feeding my two-month-old,” Litchfield resident Ashley Perks wrote in a Facebook message to the Collegian.

Perks lives in an apartment above the crime scene and called the police after hearing an explosion.

“I was scared not knowing what had really happened until I opened the door to chemical-smelling smoke,” Perks said.

Jake Estil, 19, of Litchfield and Jason Devaughn, 19, of Litchfield left the scene and were admitted to Allegiance Health in Jackson, Michigan.

Litchfield Police and Fire departments arrived on the scene in Litchfield around 8:30 p.m. and investigated the apartment bathroom, which appeared to be the scene of drug-related activity, according to police officers at the scene, as reported by the Hillsdale Daily News.

Michigan State Police officers also investigated the crime scene and determined the occupants had been extracting THC oils from marijuana, which involves cooking down flammable, alcohol-saturated cannabis leaves.

Penalties for possession of marijuana in the state of Michigan can involve up to one year of jail time.

Both Estil and Devaughn have since been released from Allegiance Health.  

According to the Hillsdale County Prosecutor’s office, as of Wednesday evening, no report has been submitted requesting charges for Estil or Devaughn.

Perks said she has had uncomfortable run-ins with the neighbors in the past, and has smelled what she believed to be marijuana fumes in an apartment hallway.