Students seek funding for lacrosse club

Home Sports Students seek funding for lacrosse club
Students seek funding for lacrosse club

Lacrosse

The fastest game on foot may be charging into Hillsdale this spring.
A group of students is in the process of establishing a lacrosse club at Hillsdale College. Sophomore Peter O’Rourke said he plans to meet with the Student Federation before the semester ends.
“Lacrosse is at a very interesting moment. I’d say it’s the fastest growing sport in all of America right now,” O’Rourke said.
A 2015 NCAA report titled Sports Sponsorship and Participation Research said from 2000 to 2014 the sport grew in participation by 105 percent and 95 percent for women’s and men’s divisions, respectively.
O’Rourke placed flyers in the student union last December. He then contacted Director of Student Activities Anthony Manno, asking to place a notice in the Student Activities Newsletter. Manno sent O’Rourke the documents required to make the club official. The potential club’s president submitted the paperwork and will meet with Student Federation to request funding.
O’Rourke said he wants to increase campus awareness of the “culture” of lacrosse before creating a team.
“That culture is something that will carry this club on longer than the club just existing by itself,” he said. “Ideally, I’d like to make it into something like the soccer club. They’re pushing for becoming a varsity sport around here even though they’re still just a club.”
The club will be co-ed, and may form competitive outdoor teams for both genders if enough students show interest. Economics professor Chris Martin agreed to be the faculty adviser. Freshmen Catherine Fassett and Gill West, both high school lacrosse players, will serve as Secretary and Vice President if Student Fed approves the club.
“We played some catch on the quad and decided it would be really cool if we could have a way for everyone to get together and throw a ball around,” Fassett said.
West said that if the club is established, he will look for a place to play “box,” or indoor, lacrosse. While outdoor lacrosse requires 10 players on each team, indoor teams only need five. He said he hopes to draw students’ attention through the smaller indoor games.
“You bring other people and say, ‘Hey watch this. Box lacrosse is really cool. Do you want to play?’ And then that would slowly get more people involved,” he said. “If we got too many we could split and have two box teams. At that point you start cultivating an actual field team and you go find other club teams.”
The club organizers said they expect potential members to have lacrosse sticks for passing the rubber balls around, but league play will require pads, cleats and helmets.
O’Rourke said newcomers are welcome to join the group with pre-made sticks. More experienced players string their own sticks to adjust how they handle the ball. The organizers said hockey players are also welcome.
“If they want to play goalie, I promise it’s identical to playing hockey goalie except they’re not on skates,” West said.
The lacrosse club, if formed, will begin playing this spring. Competitive play will depend on the number of participants.